Wednesday, April 4, 2012

After First TMS Appointment

*DEEP BREATH* Whew!

I'm so glad that's over. Right after I blogged earlier  about how I was a nasty mess, I took the quickest shower in the history of Debra. I even blow-dried my hair. It was my little Wednesday victory. The first day always takes the longest, due to having to adjust the machine to my body and finding the correct spot in my brain that controls mood. That part wasn't bad at all. What wasn't fun was getting the treatment itself.

The feeling is so hard to explain, but I'll try my best. It feels as though a dull metal rod is tapping hard against my soft brain, with the pain extending from the point of penetration down to the roof of my mouth. The magnetic stimulations are the fast tappings that happen for a short time, and then I get a short brake. This repeats for 37 minutes.

Towards the end of the session, the area on my head where the coil was placed felt like it was very heated. When I mentioned this, my husband took a photo while I was still sitting in the chair after the procedure was over.



The red spot on my head is where the coil was placed. We asked my doctor if we could record one of my sessions, and he has to get permission from Neurostar. As soon as we have the green light, I'll post a video on here so you can see what it's like.
See my red nose? I was literally crying the entire time. Not so much because of the pain, but because my emotions were just out of whack. My anxiety was really high. One of the staff members kept bringing me fresh tissues. She was so sweet. Everyone was. I don't think I could have chosen a better group of people to help me through this process.
Well, I have one day under my belt. I have a headache, but it's not too bad. Now I go in Monday through Friday for 6 weeks. The only way I'm going to get through the remaining 29 sessions is by taking it one day at a time.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my. That seemed intense just reading. You are so strong to have endured that. One day at a time as you said. I am in your corner and thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for weekend breaks!!! You can do it. Just comeup with a fun song for the thumping noises. Every thump is just a little bit of how much we all love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra you are so brave! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Deb ♥'s comments ~ unregistered users can now leave them!